PowerShell based module that can decode System Errors, Exit codes, port numbers, HTTP Statuses and MAC Vendors. This module can be used to quick lookup Error descriptions, to add verbosity to your custom error messages and for a better Error Handling, Investigation, and Analysis.
Technically the module offers a set of cmdlets that query a database of Error/Exit codes, port numbers, and MAC addresses which totals to 83049 individual records as of now when I’m writing this blog.
To make it available to the community I wrapped this side project script in a module and making it public with this blog post. The project is publically hosted on a Github repository where you can assist me to make it better.
Features and Use-Cases:
‘PSDecode’ module provides below set of cmdlets
and could be useful in following use cases –
- Decode Exit Codes and Windows System errors
- List all ‘Listening’ ports and service name mapped to Ports with description
- Identify MAC vendors for Network related troubleshooting
- Adds verbosity to you HTTP web requests
I scraped and collated all the Error codes, Exit codes, HTTP status codes, MAC Vendor and Port number registrations from various trustworthy websites over the internet to know more how I did that, refer the following blog posts
- Import / Query All Windows System Error Codes for Description
- Query HTTP Status Code detailed information using Powershell
- Get-MACVendor using Powershell
- Query Port Information using Powershell
Hope you’ll find the script useful and Thanks for reading.
Please do follow me on twitter for more Interesting PowerShell material and don’t forget to share ‘PSDecode’ module with your colleagues and friends, Cheers! 😉